MUST HAVE CURRENT DAIRY EXPERIENCE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION
- Minimum of 2 year previous cattle husbandry experience. BS degree in Animal Husbandry or other related field a plus.
- Strong background in calf and heifer management.
- Valid drivers’ license.
- Basic cattle management skills (nutrition, breeding, herd health).
- Cattle breeding knowledge.
- Basic equipment skills including: tractors, skid loaders, trucks, trucks with trailers, ATV’s, manure spreaders, TMR mixer
- Basic record keeping (good penmanship, organized, able to remember details). Knowledge of Heifer Pro is a plus.
- Knowledgeable of disease and injury treatment.
- Available to work various hours, weekends and holidays in rotation with other employees as is typically required with cattle operations.
- Goal oriented. Sets goals to maintain and improve growth rates, low death rates, and high conception rates.
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish is a plus, but not necessary.
- Excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
Hansen Agri-PLACEMENT is representing a large dairy operations located in Wisconsin who are seeking a highly qualified Herdsman for their operation. Daily responsibilities of the dairy heifer/steer herd include reproduction - heat detection, A.I. breeding, and related records. Will perform routine herd health procedures including vaccinations, deworming, castration, and fly control. Diagnose and treat routine health problems such as pinkeye, footrot, respiratory problems, minor injuries and lameness. Work with veterinarian on more serious problems and routine herd testing. Keep all related health records. Will also collect various weights, measurements and samples related to cattle evaluation. Other responsibilities include monitoring herd and facility environment, coordinate activities with other full time employees, any other activities related to farm operation. Understanding how the entire farm operation works is a must. This is a dynamic position that will evolve over time to meet the needs of a growing company based on the interests and skills of the successful applicant.