Job Title: Herdsman
Salary Range: $60000 - $80000
Commission / Bonus:
Benefits: 100% employee paid Health Insurance + IRA/Match up to 3% of Salary + Paid Vacation + Possible Housing Allowance + Vehicle Allowance
MUST HAVE CURRENT DAIRY EXPERIENCE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION
- Positive attitude with a desire to learn.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Bilingual - English/Spanish.
- Proficiency in DairyComp 305: Data entry and report creation.
- Good knowledge of standard milking procedures
- High degree of knowledge of disease diagnosis and injury treatment, calf pulling, hoof trimming, able to IV cows, give injections, and training in AI is a plus.
- Moderate knowledge of dairy nutrition.
- Team player that thrives in a culture of continuous improvement.
- High proficiency in Maternity Care Procedures.
Hansen Agri-PLACEMENT is representing a large progressive dairy operation located in California who is searching for a qualified Herdsman to assist the Dairy Manager with Herd Health Management and to be responsible for the Repro program (but no AI breeding). The Herdsman's main objective is to achieve and maintain a high standard of animal care that results in meeting or exceeding industry reproduction and production metrics and lower than industry standard herd health issues such as mastitis, transition diseases, lameness, and involuntary culling.
- Assist Dairy Manager in day to day herd health management.
- Lead herd health staff in completing daily herd and young stock health including reproductive staff with 100% protocol compliance.
- Assist hospital dairy staff with illness diagnosis and treatment decisions.
- Follow up with hospital staff to make sure treatment protocols are being administered correctly.
- Ensure diagnosis and treatment records are being recorded accurately.
- Assist dairy manager in making culling decisions.
- Proactively work with the dairy’s 3rd party veterinarian on any herd health and reproductive issues as needed.
- Meet with 3rd party AI technicians on a regular basis to ensure high level of breeding performance and to proactively address and reproductive issues.
- Assist Dairy manager in achieving herd health and reproductive Key Performance Indicators.
- Assist Dairy Manager in regular visits to offsite calf ranch to review calf health and conditions.
- Assist dairy manager in managing heifer loads to be sent to the heifer ranch in Texas and loads coming back from Texas.
General Office Work & Misc:
- Assist Dairy Manager in the daily entry of breeding and herd health data into DairyComp.
- Assist Dairy Manager in compiling information for Bi-weekly management meetings with the Dairy Owners and Finance & Operations Manager.
- Various other dairy related tasks as needed.
To be considered for this position, please refer to the Job Order # above and email your resume to Kirk Hansen at email@example.com or call 308-382-7370. You are encouraged to fill out our online application if you are not currently registered.