Job Title: Herdsman
Salary Range: $40000 - $50000
Commission / Bonus: Bonus
Benefits: Housing + Paid Vacation + Retirement
MUST HAVE CURRENT DAIRY EXPERIENCE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION
- A degree or certificate in Animal Science/ Dairy Science is desirable but not required.
- Successful candidate will have experience with dairy cattle and doctoring of sick cows.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Accuracy of record keeping, data entry, and reporting.
- Ability to communicate preferably in English and Spanish.
- Professionalism in the workplace.
Hansen Agri-PLACEMENT is representing a large dairy facility located in Idaho who is searching for a well qualified Herdsman for their operation. The Herdsman is responsible for the general care and health of the cattle at the facilities that they oversee.
Key Responsibilities:Management of hospital pen:
- Diagnose and treat cows following farm protocols.
- Case management of cows on treatment, data entry of treatments given, observing withholding times for milk and meat before animals are returned to general population.
- Fresh cow checks to ensure cows transition well from dry/close up to lactating.
- Daily walk through of animal facilities to identify animals requiring attention.
- Pull sick/lame/injured animals from pens for assessment and treatment in hospital as needed.
- Report to management on observations and give recommendations to prevent animal illness and injury.
General Animal Health/Logistics:
- Assist as needed with vaccinations
- Assisting with Dry treating cows
- Be available to assist maternity as needed with calf delivery
- Sorting/moving/hauling of animals
- Ability to follow protocols
- Can be trusted to work without constant supervision
- Ability to work without distractions or entertainment (phone), budget time, and be accountable for work.
- Comply with high standards of care, handling, and humane treatment of animals.
- Work as a team with other departments and work groups to ensure the farm’s success.
To be considered for this position, please refer to the Job Order # above and email your resume to Kirk Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 308-382-7370. You are encouraged to fill out our online application if you are not currently registered.