Job Title: Vegetable Plant Breeder
Job Order #: DC-7008
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Salary Range: $80,000.00 - 100,000.00
Commission / Bonus:
Benefits: 401k with Matching Employer Contribution + Disability Insurance + Life Insurance + Travel Expense + Vehicle or Vehicle Allowance + Very good Health/Vision/Dental Ins. Plan - Co. Pays Deductible
- BS Plant Breeding, Genetics or related degree program; MS or PhD preferred
- 4+ years Plant Breeding experience
- Solid ability to develop and implement a vegetable breeding program
- Hands-on knowledge of plant pathology-related techniques preferred
- Ability to select for a horticultural type using knowledge of all aspects of seed production and commercial crop production
- Strong organizational, planning and communication skills with ability to share information verbally or through written reports
- Computer proficiency with ability to manage information in a database, analyze data to arrive at logical conclusions, then create presentations to communicate results
- Experienced in the effective and efficient use of molecular markers
- Ability to keep up-to-date on state-of-the-art plant breeding technologies
- Leadership skills with ability to motivate personnel to achieve program objectives
- Ability to efficiently manage resources and remain on budget
- Ability to travel the U.S. extensively
Hansen Agri-PLACEMENT is seeking an experienced Vegetable Plant Breeder for an established Vegetable Seed organization to be located in the Southeastern area of the U.S. Primary responsibility will be to develop, implement and coordinate R&D efforts for assigned species including the development of a state-of-the-art proprietary product. Additional duties to include:
- Develop/Maintain/Improve hybrid varieties for domestic and international markets
- Coordinate trials in major market areas including travel to these areas for evaluation and provide detailed trial results to upper management
- Advance select hybrids through a nomination system including documentation of performance, resistance and completion of required breeder seed
- Assist in preparing market analysis and product profiles for introduction of product and customer support; work with sales department and/or product manager to design and evaluate trials of advancing experimental varieties and hybrids
- Arranging inner cross blocks and field trials, managing field selection and species evaluation
- Design breeding strategies and maintain breeding lines including the incorporation of new germplasm; screen and select horticulturally-acceptable and disease-resistant material from the breeding nurseries, laboratories and field screens
- Provide production department with the required amount of breeder seed from parent lines of advancing hybrids as well as parent line descriptions; coordinate selection of plants for quality stock seed production; work with plant pathology department to identify and implement reliable assays and to ensure production of adequate quantities of disease-free basic seed is available
- Attend pre-determined professional conferences and seminars to remain knowledgeable on current breeding practices and technologies; maintaining relationships/networks with the plant breeding community
- Set up and maintain accurate breeding program records
- Oversight of full-time and seasonal personnel
- Interaction with other departments in project-related efforts
This Vegetable Plant Breeder will report directly to Director of Research.
To be considered for this position, please refer to the Job Order # above and email your resume to Dianne Countryman at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 308-381-4815. Please fill out our online application if you are not currently registered.
"Unless The Lord Builds the House, We Labor In Vain Who Build It"
The Nation's Oldest and Most Highly Respected Ag Agency, Serving Agri Business and Production Agriculture Since 1959.