Job Title: Dairy Manager
Salary Range: $60000 - $80000
Commission / Bonus:
Benefits: Cell Phone + Dental + Health Insurance + Housing + Paid Vacation
MUST HAVE CURRENT DAIRY EXPERIENCE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION
Education and Experience:
• BS in Agriculture or equivalent
• 5 years of Dairy Management experience
• Organic experience preferred but not required
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• Leadership skills.
• Must be able to communicate in English and Spanish effectively, both written and oral (Dairy Spanish)
• Strong herd health skills
• Strong calf experience
• Demonstrate strong negotiating skills
• Management skills
• Project Management skills.
• Must be able to structure/schedule and supervise the monthly feed inventories and animal counts by groups
• Must be able to comprehend basic business math calculations well enough to verify accurate costing and billing as well as counting and tracking inventories
• Must be able to calmly respond to employee and equipment problems
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word and Outlook
• Working in a dairy environment
• Extended periods of standing, sitting, walking, climbing, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and stooping, turning the head and torso, reaching, grasping, bending and flexing the arms, legs, wrists, hands, and fingers. – repetitive at times
• The senses of being able to see, hear and have full power of speech are required
• The ability to climb and balance is essential
• Temperatures may range from 15 to 100 degrees
• Noise produced by farm machinery up to 90 decibels
• Ability to lift, hold and/or carry 55 pounds of product unassisted
• Working on a computer and looking at the computer screen for extended periods of time
Hansen Agri-PLACEMENT is representing a small organic dairy operation located in California who is searching for a well qualified, hands-on Dairy Manager to oversee the day-to-day operation of their dairy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Accurately develop and manage a budget for the dairy
• Oversee animal feeding program and maintain the FeedWatch program- Adjust inventory and report in an accurate and timely manner. Negotiate feed prices and manage inventory to maximize profit for the Company.
• Oversee and maintain the dairy herd with the record keeping (Milk Watch program, DHIA) herd health and productivity - Goal is to keep SSC under 150,000 to allow Company to receive quality incentive.
• Fill in and perform work when needed. (Feeding cows and calves, breeding, seeding, hauling, etc.)
• Maintain, oversee staff and monitor Calf raising including Urban system.
• Develop and maintain an organic pasture plan all the animals.
• Maintain the machinery and equipment so that it is reliable and efficient and to keep organized tools and equipment.
• Maintain the esthetics and fencing on the farm.
• Ensure Dairy remains in compliance with all SFC programs, Organic, Non-GMO, and State and Federal regulations- submit for review, get approval from owner for all permits in a timely manner.
• Plan fertilization, seeding and management of pasture and crops using tools like soil analysis, no-till planting and mowing.
• Oversee relations with all vendors.
• Maintain current records.
• Develop and mentor employees to create a productive, and content team
• Responsible for making recommendations in the hiring process
• Schedule employees, including approving time-sheets and requests for time off
• Ensure that the farm is in compliance with all labor laws.
• Manage monthly safety meetings and ensure safe practices are followed
• Recommend appropriate disciplinary actions with respect to employees.
• Other duties as requested
• Job duties are subject to change upon notification of Manager.
To be considered for this position, please refer to the Job Order # above and email your resume to Kirk Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 308-382-7370. You are encouraged to fill out our online application if you are not currently registered.